View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
instarx
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
Plus, I load up the back with gravel for the driveways, mulch for the flower beds, potting soil for my raised garden and so on. There is no way on God's green earth that a small vehicle can move that much weight. I suppose a bed chock full of gravel is about 3000 pounds!
Perfect rationalization. Exactly how much gravel a year do you have to haul for your driveway? How much mulch could you possibly use? Your trailer towing argument is better, but I don't buy the "I gotta haul rock for my driveway" argument.

Unless it is for a business where things have to be hauled on a daily basis, most of these 3/4 and 1-ton trucks are pointless. As trailer pullers, sure, but as haulers nope. There is essentially nothing that cannot be delivered for a tiny fraction of the cost of buying, insuring, licensing and fueling a daily-driver truck. Since you own a travel trailer it makes sense for you, but for 90% of people who own these trucks it makes no sense.

I often see pristine (e.g. non-work) trucks at the local Home Depot with a single 2x10 sticking out the back. I always laugh because I just know the guy was thinking he sure was lucky to own that truck.

Last edited by instarx; 01-01-2011 at 07:19 AM..