View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post

FYI I studied (and passed) a course in suspension, steering and braking last year, so this is a subject I'm very familiar with. I haven't needed to go to an alignment shop for about 2 years now; using a tape measure and basic hand tools I can get an alignment that is within 1% of spec of what a good shop would do. Anyone with the willingness to learn the ropes and patience to do a good job can align their own vehicle; consider it shade tree mechanics 201.
I'd have to doubt the tape measure idea. I've worked out several methods to set the toe on various vehicles and the one's that work fairly well involve using a $12 laser to translate the distance to where it can be measured.

2 problems with using a tape measure...with most vehicles the suspension is in the way...and since you are dealing with usually around 1/16th of an inch...you need to very accurate.

On the other hand on an offroad trip last year I hit a "bump" in the road (probably put there by some runt on an ATV?) and went airborn...and decided I needed a toe adjustment...but with this 4WD truck all I needed to do was to tie a string around the tires at the axle level and set the toe to -1/8th" . Set it at -1/8th" because it has deep dish wheels on it. I could do this because it was a 4WD and because the front and rear track are almost exactly the same.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL