View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #65 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3058 View Post
Absolutely they don't want one - If people are throwing down $30k-40k on a 14mpg big rig, they just told the automaker thats what they want, not 30mpg. If they buy a 2wd stick shift 4 cyl Ranger or Colorado, they send a different message. If they truly wanted better fuel mileage, the automakers would provide it - its free market (or should be). In a marketplace where the Gov't isn't subsidizing failed automakers, they have no choice but to make their customers happy or go under.
Yes but relatively large rigs with the right combination can do much better than 20mpg.

1. Aero improves FE on all vehicles
2. CdA <- Note on the A, something that can haul a fair amount and have a fair amount of room does not necessarily need a giant A, there are 1/2 ton kei cars in existance afterall.
3. HP, my 82 diesel suburban will have roughly the same horsepower as an older 4 banger cavaleer but with a reliable motor for towing moderate loads and a reliable stick shift 5 along with 2wd

So where can I buy a larger vehicle with a big block old iron diesel, decent payload, fair aero (at least compared to a new dodge or ford) with a stick shift and 2wd?

My vehicle is by no means small yet even in its STOCK form was managing in the mid twenties driven in a NON hypermiling fashion. It is possible its just that a vehicle like mine with a lower HP diesel motor and a stick does not exist anymore, it SHOULD at least be an option.

Now for the record what is the CDA of an 89 diesel suburban? I've often wondered because those oldies always managed moderate FE considering they are just a big brick.

Cheers
Ryan