View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: duluth mn
Posts: 117
Thanks: 20
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
theycallmebryan said:

Take the front half of a wide track quad (such as a racing squad) as your front half... that would solve the entire front end because they already have front control arms and suspension to go with it, as well as a complete braking system and steering package. I would alter the steering ratio a bit so that it wasn't as sensitive and more friendly for road use.
Actually I don't think you are allowed to use any part designed for off-road use, someone actually used a quad, tried to get it registered and had to change the front suspension to a VW. Sorry I don't remember where I read this. But I am fairly certain of it.

Finally, register and insure it as the motorcycle you used, and VWAHLA!! You have a 3 wheeled reverse tadpole design that requires no inspection in most states with dirt cheap insurance and awesome gas mileage! I know i wouldn't mind wearing a helmet still (my state requires it).
Using the motorcycle vin is a great idea, as getting a vin for a home built can be difficult. If anyone tries to build a home built be sure to keep COMPLETE records of all purchased parts and materials. I think most states allow no helmet if it is an enclosed cabin.

Like anything check with your local licensing department and any where you may want to ride it.

  Reply With Quote