View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
DJBecker
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Yes, that would work, with some caveats.

* The header pinout doesn't match the pinout on the Cougar. You'll be swapping each signal to its correct location. The DIP switch on the board doesn't make it easier, instead just providing an opportunity to break a working configuration.

* They didn't read the datasheets carefully. They put 100K resistors on inputs that already have internal pull-ups, use a 10MHz crystal when a 16MHz or 8MHz clock would be a better choice for noisy signal sampling, and have a pointlessly low slope control resistor (10K-20K ohms would be a better choice than 10 ohms). And it wouldn't have cost more to put in much bigger decoupling caps, especially with near-zero slope control. The as-built component values might be different, but the brochure schematic didn't give me confidence.

This module was just one of the options I looked at. In the end I decided it was better to just wire the MCP2515 and MCP2551 on my protoboard. But if you have an already-built Cougar board, I can see that this module is the easier solution (and certainly less expensive than a one-off board).

On the plus side, there is pretty much only one way to hook up a MCP2515.
The firmware is mostly the same for all implementations -- there is only a slight adjustment needed for the 10MHz clock, and not using the option to use an output pin for transceiver sleep control.

I would be happy to post the firmware after I have someone check that it nominally works with the target hardware. Are you volunteering? You will need the ability to re-flash your AVR chip, and a CAN OBD reader or gauge.

Last edited by DJBecker; 01-03-2011 at 10:50 AM..