View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
For hot water use, Google "thermosiphon" as another idea (especially if heater is located below any faucets). In the South, hot water heat exchangers used in conjunction with air conditioners has a long track record (longer the A/C season, the faster the payback and the better the A/C performance).

Dual flush toilets sound good. Painless to comply with requested use.

Shut-off valves on showers work great. I like long showers, too, but the shut-off can be incorporated with results that will surprise.

Clothes cleaning is also easy: give everyone a weekday for their own use. Weekend use is by request only.

A per square foot assessment of the house for sharing the rise in utility bills is feasible, but it depends on good previous records (not to mention climate records). Some guy who spend the weekends at his girlfriends is likely to complain, but the only other option is a fixed annual increase (which I would do anyway). If it's my property then I bear the liability, so it's good sense to project all the other costs at the end of five years (or ten, or appliance replacement point, etc) and work backwards to arrive at sensible rent vis-a-vis the local market.

Personally, I wouldn't share it based on being green. It's like being religiuous, only appealing to those in agreement. For all the rest exists contract law and good record-keeping.

Just keep plugging any "profit" into improving the structure and it's systems (and their components). That's the only realistic place for savings, IMO, and for putting up with renters. I know that I would be willing to be creative on landscaping (labor) in exchange for foregoing utility increases. Have a look at "keyline plowing" and other to see where, maybe, the advantage of labor could benefit you both.