View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
ted frater
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Cocyclist,
Figures? for improvement? I dont hink I can seperate this factor from all the other things Ive done.however the difference I think it has made is the difference between letting the engine have cold dense clean air as opposed to hot low oxygen air.
Like running on a cold day to a hot day.
On my suzuki diesel, the egr is ECU controlled tho there isnt a lambda sensor anywhere.
IF you put a blanking plate between the valve and the inlet manifold the ECU is not confused its doing what its supposed to but theres no exhaust gases to pollute the incoming air.
As for economy running around with lots of stop starts im getting about 42mpg, driving carefully.Apart from the above the other benefit is that the oil keeps so much cleaner between changes.
Hi Back to basics,
TheEGR return is into the manifold downstream from the throttle position sensor but before the manifold branches into 4 pipes of the cast ali manifold.
The crank case breather feeds into the inlet pipe just upstream of the turbo.
Yes, it would make sense to route it the upstream side of the air cleaner, but thats a dry element type. Id have to fit an oil bath type off a 2ltr peugeot diesel I scrapped recently. will look at that in the daylight. Its 11.30 pm here just now.
OR I could do what used to be done 50 yrs ago, that just vent to atmosphere!!
As an aside, I was looking at some old photos i took of a car I ran in 1955.
we found a 6 ltr 4 cyl Renault landaulette from 1908. I restored it to road worthy condition, and took it to The Veteran run in Novembet that year. That was from london to Brighton and was fine. We set out from There to go the 120 miles back to Poole dorset, it was A fantastic trip.as we were running on the original acetylene lamps fed frrom a central generator on the running board The very white light was as good as a modern filamant bulb but a lot whiter, no dip of course.Side lights and tail light were oil.
Its no longer with us but its now 103 yrs old!!.
Ted
in Dorset
UK
The Following User Says Thank You to ted frater For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (01-04-2011)