View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
redneck
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
I dont want to throw it in N every time I come to a stop because of the damage Ive read it can cause to the trans. and keeping the RPM's below 3k under accel means the truck crawls up to speed, which means I only do this if there is no traffic behind me... unless I can get behind a semi if at a light.
Putting a vehicle in neutral with a automatic while the engine is running will not damage it. (at a light or hypermiling)

Putting a vehicle in neutral with a automatic while the engine is not running and rolling down the road (hypermiling), can damage it.

This is because the transmission fluid pump is in the front of the transmission behind the torque converter and drives it. In order for it to provide lubrication and fluid presure to apply clutches, the engine must be running.

When hypermiling down the road with the engine off, (in netural) the driveshaft spins the automatic transmission with no fliud pressure to lubricate the internals, thus causing damage.

By using a scanguage or ultraguage (cheaper) I have found that it makes a siginficant difference when accelerating slowly or briskly.

The sooner that you can get in the high gear and achieve lockup the better fuel mileage you will get.

In my particular case, the truck I have is a 2000 F250 with a 5.4 and a E4OD transmission.

Up to 37 mph the truck will only get 9 mpg.

At 38 mph transmission lockup occurs and the truck goes to 19-20 mpg.

By using the scanguage and monitoring my instant average mpg it shows that slowly accelerating uses more fuel than a rather brisk acceleration does in order to achieve lockup.

Quote:
Ive really been trying to change my driving habits, and its paying off better than I expected.

Hope this helps...

>