View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #99 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
single wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I could see how the earlier trailer had practical aspects (maybe not much volume, yet potential decent weight carrying capacity), but am lost on the single wheel advantage (except for the one-off Bonneville gig . . which is a fine goal [exciting]). Proof of concept? Or more the niche where you can kick tail (and other/another trailer to follow)?
I couldn't get the Goodyear racing Eagles I'd hoped for.They are no longer in production in the size I needed for the 2-wheel axle.
The 130-Club rule book requires at least an H-rated tire to run.And I can run as fast as 138 mph with an H-Rated tire,which is the theoretical top speed of the truck with the trailer,if the composite Cd ends up where the physics suggests it will be.
Going to a single motorcycle tire is the only option I have in order to preserve the trailer body and get a speed rated tire underneath. The larger diameter will intrude through the floor and into the interior space.Not 'practical' but one way to get a top speed without completely re-engineering the trailer.
Knowing the top speed will allow me to reverse-engineer the composite drag coefficient,using Hucho's 30% delta-drag/10% delta-top speed relationship for a comparison to the mpg-derived Cd.
After I've got Bonneville behind me I can restore the original axle and wheels for 'normal' duty.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
slowmover (01-05-2011)