Thread: Spark plugs?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
NHRABill
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovie View Post
From what i understand the hotter the spark the quicker the flame front in the combustion chamber and therefore more power and fe because the ecu has to reduce fuel to compensate for the increased burn speed(the engine can't handle an instant explosion to much force on the piston/rod and it can only move so fast) And the fine tip'd iridium spark plugs are better i think because they allow more vapor around them to increase the burn rate also. You might get better results with a higher voltage coil.

Stick with mfr. reccomendations would be my opinion. the length of the spark and burn of the fuel by the spark is what makes all of the difference putting in a colder plug vs. a hot plug will only cause damage if you don't know what you are doing. I played around ALOT with plugs and changed them hundreds of times when racing supercharged cars. If you had a turbo or supercharger changing the timing curve along with a specific plug type and gap will give you a good amount of difference.

when dealing with a stock vehicle that is designed for economy rather than performance such as yours I would stick with manufacturer recomendations. indexing the plug will be as far as I would go.
1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*