View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #33 (permalink)
Niner
EcoModding Lurker

Niner_xA - '05 Scion xA
90 day: 35.82 mpg (US)

Horse Hauler - '95 Ford F-250 XLT
90 day: 13.47 mpg (US)

Butterkup - '02 Mazda Miata
On connection methods - I just got the Walmart 16" pizza pans (which fit perfectly on the three sets of 15" rims I have in our garage, if you ignore the wheel weights).

My first attempt was to buy some tall acorn nuts (I have a 4x100 bolt pattern) and stick 10-32 nuts inside them, JBwelded in. That was messy (I got some JBweld on the acorn threads) and without roughing up the inside of the acorn, the little nuts broke free pretty easily. Next I tried MIG welding the little nuts on top of the acorns. That was pretty fiddly, as I didn't have any fine wire handy, and the tops of the acorns are pretty easy to burn through. I didn't get good welds on all of them and lost one pizza pan on my maiden voyage, but the other three did 100 miles without any problem.

If my only set were steelies, I would have probably just tapped holes directly in that. However, I have a winter and summer set, and the winter set is a nice alloy Miata wheel. It does have small hubcaps that are a little more than 100mm, so I think I can take those off and tap under them, so they're still presentable if I ever sell them. I'm also assuming the zip-tie method works best on steelies where you've got a lot of small holes at a fixed diameter - the 5-spoke alloy rims seem like they wouldn't keep the cap from moving well if ziptied.