View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #122 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Curious, it does take a 3% hit on the hiway, but a couple Qs re: CVT

do you have the option to control the ratio? i.e. a ratio lever?
Can you control lockup?
Does it have a neutral?
I checked the 2010 Altima coupe EPA figures and the 31-32 highway MPG figures were reversed (compared to 2008) with the manual getting 31 and the CVT 32. Most of the manual 4 cylinders are the strippers. It would have been neat to get a manual (aside from the fact the wife couldn't or wouldn't drive it, which complicates things greatly). Probably could have gone past 40 MPG with a manual, but it sure is a pain in the stop and crawl you can get stuck in here on occasion.

I just get 80+ on the bikes when the weather is better.

Sentra, your wife can't drive and auto (your statement), and my wife won't drive a manual. It was cheaper for me to own one car with an AT instead of one with a manual and one with an AT so she had something to drive when I need to do some service on her car.

This thread should have specified the type of AT, which seems to be basically the older 3 speed non lockup converter types. My monthly mileage distance has dropped by close to 50% since getting my patent and both of us combined still are using less than $200 a month in fuel, which we can easily afford and probably is the difference in property taxes and housing costs compared to places where those monthly costs are high.

Is a dual clutch 6 speed automated manual an AT or a MT?
How about a CVT with a low speed lockup converter, or a clutch?

Does ecomodder not wish AT owners to try to improve their mileage through better driving habits?

I don't remember any place where this forum excludes people who own gas hogs like a Sentra SER, or even Surburbans, or God help us even a Hummer.
I thought the objective was to reduce the fuel consumption of every type of driver in any type of vehicle.

I can guarantee you one thing, a young mother of 3 young children, is not going to be hypermiling a 96 Honda Civic around downtown Manhattan.

Are they excluded as members?

regards
Mech