View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 04:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
The ScanGuage II is pretty accurate on my TDI although if I mash the pedal to the floor, it wil go to 9999 for a few seconds and I know that's not right! Arragonis, are you considering E(off) coasting out of curiosity or in the name of science? Our diesels are so much more efficient at idle than a gasser (petrol) that I haven't felt that it was worth it. Depending on my coasting speed (engine on, in neutral) my ScanGuage reads 300-450 miles per gallon Or more! and that's not too bad. I was worried about shutting off the oil supply to a hot turbo, wear and tear from bump starting so often, and on my car, disabled airbags while the key is off. I am sure it can be done safely under the right conditions. I will be following your progress.
Originally it was just an idea but I'm taking it more seriously. I've been watching the GPH at idle which registers 0.16 after calibration. How does that compare with yours ?

I have done a few days of experimenting with Off coasting for a small section of my daily grind and apart from having cold toes the other difference was that the average mpg at the end of the queue was 40 instead of a more usual 30-33, and at the end of the journey overall the average was nearer the magic 60 target instead of a more normal 45-50.

This is at the start so everything is cold including the turbo which hasn't been mashed yet. I let it idle for a bit to get fresh oil in there before shutting off anyway.

So I wondering about using it a little more but it takes so long to go through a tank at the moment I was hoping the SG2 would give me some more feedback.

The above figures are from the on-board computer which seems to continue to calculate the average when moving and engine off but the SG2 goes to sleep and 'freezes' where it was. I use the SG2 to have an average and instant MPG figure as well as temps - e.g. my on board temp gauge only starts at 50 Deg C.

If I go 'Hybrid' I understand the SG2 keeps going when the engine stops, but I suspect my calibration may be broken.