View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
jpgmtech
EcoModding Lurker

duramax - '05 Chevrolet Silverado LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
jpgmtech -

I already have a question about the first GM hybrids. Could the Saturn-Vue "mild hybrid" drivetrain be transferred into a Saturn Ion? I ask because I think they had the same generation of 2.X Ecotec engine. This is a "just for fun" question. I don't have the mechanical skillzzz to do it.

CarloSW2
Possible, but difficult to say the least. Easier to just go out and buy a Saturn Aura hybrid though, 2.2 ecotec with more or less the same mild hybrid hardware. Chevy Malibu hybrid also uses this system.

The total claimed city economy benefit is 12% over the non-hybrid Aura/Malibu. But only about 5% of the gains actually come from the hybrid portion. Most of the gains are from fuel-economy tuning in the ECM and low rolling resistance tires. I'll post a table from my training info later...

By far the best gaining hybrid and most useful that GM produces is the two-mode system in the Hybrid Tahoe/Yukon. Lots of technology there, wished they got this into the small cars though. The Malibu hybrid is almost a waste of money...