View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Jim-Bob
Junkyard Engineer

Super-Metro! - '92 Geo Metro Base

$250 Pizza Delivery Car - '91 Geo Metro Base
Team Metro
90 day: 43.75 mpg (US)

Fronty the wonder truck - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
I use my Metro for pizza delivery in a suburban environment between 5pm and midnight and EOC all night long with no issues ( probably 20-30 EOCs in a typical evening). The Metro DOES have manual steering so it isn't affected but the power brakes have maybe 2 applies before I lose all assist. What I am considering is using a vacuum reserve canister that is sold by companies such as Summit, Moroso or Competition Cams for use in street/strip cars with big cams and low idle vacuum. I figure it should give me another 2 or 3 applications of the brakes.

As for starting, I let out the clutch if the car is still rolling or use the key if it is not. I turn the key off then on and hold down the clutch with the engine in the right gear at all times. This way any time I need the engine it is a lift of the foot away from running. I usually do NOT do it in heavy traffic though as I feel the risks are not worth it. I will also add that I have driven this delivery area for several years now and intimately know how all of the traffic lights function. I rarely ever use this technique in an area I do not drive in regularly since it requires a high level of concentration that might otherwise be needed for navigation. I also don't do it with passengers in the car. It is a risky technique if done wrong so proceed with caution when using it.
No green technology will ever make a substantive environmental impact until it is economically viable for most people to use it. This must be from a reduction in net cost of the new technology, not an increase in the cost of the old technology through taxation

(Note: the car sees 100% city driving and is EPA rated at 37 mpg city)