View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 04:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
Jim-Bob
Junkyard Engineer

Super-Metro! - '92 Geo Metro Base

$250 Pizza Delivery Car - '91 Geo Metro Base
Team Metro
90 day: 43.75 mpg (US)

Fronty the wonder truck - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
If you really wanted to pick nits, you could even challenge the use of EPA combined cycle as the yard stick and instead use your own percentage of city/highway driving at the EPA rated mileages for those kinds of driving to devise a personal combined cycle baseline. For me, that would change things drastically as I drive 100% city on a daily basis and rarely ever go on the interstate ( the car delivers pizza at a store 1.8 miles from my house and I rarely go more than 5 miles from home). Thus, my base mileage would be based off of the 37 mpg city and NOT the 40 combined that it is now. Could I fudge the numbers? Yes, but that would be cheating and I am not willing to win (for lack of a better term) by illegitimate means. It proves nothing in the end and just gives me shallow bragging rights that I cannot back up. It adds nothing to the discussion here and helps no one improve their fuel mileage.

No green technology will ever make a substantive environmental impact until it is economically viable for most people to use it. This must be from a reduction in net cost of the new technology, not an increase in the cost of the old technology through taxation

(Note: the car sees 100% city driving and is EPA rated at 37 mpg city)