View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #147 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Sentra and dcb. I invite every member of this forum to look at the posts from you two and see who is confrontational, obnoxious, and in general derogatory to others in many of your posts.

My car is not an 02 Altima and it is not a spec V. Ratings are 23 and 31, so get your facts straight.

My overall average is in the mid 40s with the bike and car combined. It could be as high as 60 if I drove the bike more and the car less.

If you two want to carry on a respectful debate about facts and even opinions I will gladly join you. If you want to be jerks, I can play that game as well, and will do so until the moderators kick me off this forum.

I managed to average 68 MPG in an Automatic Insight. At one point it was in the top ten. Probably the highest mileage of any auto on this forum.

Unfortunately in this area of the country the Insight and the VX are both deathtraps, as you Sentra referred to in another post about older cars, and in the case of the vx or Insight versus this Altima in a similar collision the injuries I would sustain would be catastrophic compared to minor in the Altima.

It rides many times better with 44 PSI air in the tires than either of the other two cars, and I will get the mileage up to close to you figure on your Sentra. The difference will be the bike that I ride alone and get over 80 MPG. If I split the driving between the two then the mileage would be close to 60 average.

With 20 k miles and costing me less than 12k repaired it was 40% of the cost new.

I love the CVT and I am still learning it's secrets as far as what you can do to increase mileage. In my Insight I averaged 68 versus 47 EPA combined, which was one of the highest EPA ratings, if not the highest of any AT equipped car ever sold in the US.

The Altima coasted .6 mile today from 60 to 35 MPH, so it requires even greater anticipation and situational awareness to extract maximum mileage. It gets 60 MPG coasting at 16 MPH, and I got 60 driving on a deserted road at 35 MPH using pulse and coast (engine on).

That's on E10. Only fuel available within 200 miles for the last 6 years.

The problem with the Insight was it needed $7000 in warranty work in less than 18 months, and when the warranty ran out that was a cost I would have to bear. Used parts are very hard to find. More warranty work than every other car I have ever owned in my life combined.

The VX I drove for 35k miles and sold for exactly what I had put in the car, to a woman who absolutely loves it.

My point is, we are supposedly all advocates of efficiency. I know I have been one for over 40 years. Averaged 44 MPH in an 84 Civic CRX for 50 k miles that I bought new late in 1983, 27 years ago.

People who come here to learn something do not need to have to crawl through childish verbal fistfights. In fact they may even not bother when the SPAM gets bad enough. Not saying don't disagree, just state your point with a minimum of common courtesy and I will gladly do the same.

Then a newcomer to this forum will see a community that treats each other with respect for each persons efforts to improve their driving efficiency, instead of reading useless garbage that teaches nothing to anyone.

Even people who drive Automatics should have the ability to learn techniques without having to crawl through all the crap about their choice of transportation. That includes people whose lives include other distractions that would make intense hypermiling extremely dangerous, which was the point in my question you called stupid dcb.

Maybe you missed something.

Dude.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 01-08-2011 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Math error 27 years instead of 37
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Thymeclock (01-08-2011)