Thread: Plan for Summer
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
FX2.3
Saving Those Greenbacks

Snowy - '02 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 23.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
If saving money is your goal, customizing your truck is not the way to go. You'll save the most if you just accept a car as transportation. If not, that's perfectly cool, but it's not the best long-term investment.

The way other people drive shouldn't affect you. It doesn't make a difference if people drive 90mph, swerve like mad, or big rigs tailgate you going 70mph. Understand your legal right (50-65mph) and don't let people drive you. If you want to drive 55, drive 55. Peer pressure is easy to ignore.

To get that mileage (35mpg):

Change Driving Habits
Grille Block
Rear Wheel Skirts
Bed Aerocap
Wheel Splitters, Boattails, Side Skirts
Undertray
Low Viscosity Oil w/ Oil Analysis
High tire PSI

- LostCause
I am working on my driving habits.
I might do the grille block, but worried about the +100F summers..
I might do clear rear skirts.
I can not have a full bed cover, I use the bed at least once a week to haul random crap; that is another reason why I have a truck and not a more economical car.
I am working on modifying my current aero mod under the bumper to have wheel splitters. Boat tail on a truck? Will look at side skirts.
Working on placement of an undertray, but due to drive shaft movement it will have to wait till after lowering.
I am running 5w-20 synthetic blend, have heard bad stories of lower viscosity oils causing leaks.
Tires are at 37 psi, could be higher but I plan to sell them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
PaleMelanesian -

Yes yes yes. The SG also gives you OBD II error code access, which can cost up to $80 as a separate (and less useful all-by-itself) gizmo. Since the SG is portable, you can use it to help your pals when they get SES lights in their cars. The eXtra gauge info is cool too.

CarloSW2
Autozone does error codes for free.

I am considering a SG and the $1200 is a rough budget estimate including painting and all new components. I have seen great deals on craigslist that would cut it down to $600.

Lowering is cheap. NEW Coils are only $55 shipped, install stock spindles(free), remove rear blocks(free), NEW U bolts($25), flipping rear hangers($20 in bolts),,, so maybe $75 with tax for all new parts to lower 2/2 from stock or 5/4 from how it currently sits.

The greatest cost of the estimate is the rims NEW at $150 each shipped, so if I can find them used, I could get all 4 for $300 and have seen it but for 15x8s not 15x7 which those tires fit.