Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #449 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

The American Meteorological Society has a new paper on recent climate variations. Peer reviewed and everything, for what that is worth given Climategate...

Quote:
Abstract

The problem of separating variations due to natural and anthropogenic forcing from those due to unforced internal dynamics during the twentieth century is addressed using state-of-the-art climate simulations and observations. An unforced internal component that varies on multidecadal time scales is identified by a new statistical method that maximizes integral time scale. This component, called the Internal Multidecadal Pattern (IMP), is stochastic and hence does not contribute to trends on long time scales, but can contribute significantly to short-term trends. Observational estimates indicate that the trend in the spatially averaged \well observed" sea surface temperature (SST) due to the forced component has an approximately constant value of 0.1K/decade, while the IMP can contribute about ±0.08K/decade for a 30-year trend. The warming and cooling of the IMP matches that of the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation and is of sufficient amplitude to explain the acceleration in warming during 1977–2008 as compared to 1946–1977, in spite of the forced component increasing at the same rate during these two periods. The amplitude and time scale of the IMP are such that its contribution to the trend dominates that of the forced component on time scales less than 16 years, implying that the lack of warming trend during the past ten years is not statistically significant. Furthermore, since the IMP varies naturally on multi-decadal time scales, it is potentially predictable on decadal time scales, providing a scientific rationale for decadal predictions. While the IMP can contribute significantly to trends for periods of 30 years or less, it cannot account for the 0.8°C warming trend that has been observed in the twentieth century spatially averaged SST.
What this suggests is that a predictable, regular event (the IMP) causes signals which can overwhelm any AGW created signals, so how could we know what the effects or otherwise of those signals given we only have records to 1850 - is that long enough in planetary terms ?

For long term temp records only ice cores or really reliable. Tree cores are far less reliable. Anyone want to google the lonseome pine and global warming ?

There is so much doubt in this science we may as well have a tax on Smarties causing wind, a kind of "Parp and trade" - its as much value as Cap and Trade as it would limit more powerful GHGs such as methane. And I make quite a bit of methane myself...

I suddenly feel hungry.

Last edited by Arragonis; 01-08-2011 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: Only smarties have the answer