View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
jago25_98
EcoModding Lurker

Charge times sorted by battery swap service?

I reckon everything we need is already there to use electric vehicles.

What stops a guy at home offering a standard 12v battery swap service in order to avoid charge times. That could be all over the country in days and the network on Google maps by a community run site in days too.

Well,

the devil's in the details.

How do we assess battery health?

I started a thread here because I need to read up more on batteries:
Assessing 12v battery health

A few early findings:

- you need to agree on a standard battery type really to keep it simple. Or at least be in the same ballpark. The easier it is to see what is being traded the more likely it will be traded, like gold.

- batteries need to be easier to inspect. Can this be done correctly purely by electronics? i.e. how would you measure the battery performance under load before accepting a battery if it's already discharged?

- access to individual cells would be handy

- being able to pull the electrodes out and inspect them would be handy too

- sealed batteries prevent testing the water pH. Keep that pH steady and you're getting longer lasting batteries

- if this become popular there would be a problem for the national grid, but if we kept it quiet and amongst friends there could be a period similar to what we had with SVO where it could work

But certainly, if you already have someone you trust, and whom trusts you on the route of the journey you want to make, there's nothing stopping you doing this already.

Comments and thoughts?