Thread: aspire on e85
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAbington View Post
My personal thoughts on ethanol is that we should not be making it from corn, we have enough grass clippings and yard trimmings and wast product from corn and other grains produced in this country that we should be using those instead.
I agree 100% with this, only waste should be made into ethanol and preferably down south where it is warm enough not to waste massive amounts of energy heating the brew.

But why run pure e85? Most of the studies have shown the fuel economy sweet spot is between 20-35% ethanol.

Most vehicles require no tuning to run that mix and the cost to benefit is there because the fuel economy (for me at least) does not seem to start dropping like a rock until I get upwards of 40% ethanol and obviously saving 15-30% on the cost per gallon exceeds the slight drop.

If a stock car gets say 30mpg on e0, 28 on e10, 27mpg on e40 and 22mpg on e85 why not stick on the easy part of the curve where you are really saving money?

I am not the only one who noticed this effect.

http://www.eastcoastenergysolutions....anGasoline.doc

Not that I think the data for all cars with behave this way but certain ones run just fine with better than expected fuel economy.