View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #42 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
WaxyChicken -
I wouldn't want a tin roof in direct contact with the house. The metal will heat up and convect into the building. The good part would be that it would cool very fast at night and radiate to the "infinitely cold" night sky.

Assuming your roof is a "normal" shingle color, I would beg the wife for permission to paint the roof white with some kind of elastomeric paint (i.e. something like this : Roof Coating Products & Cool Roof Coating | Elastek | Arizona). A white roof is the only way to go in the desert (aesthetics be damned).

CarloSW2
Actually given the sucess of an envelope home keeping heat out I've often wondered if a simple "Envelope Roof" so to say would be almost as good, AKA if you want a reflective roof, also offset it a 2"x2" or more above the existing roof, my guess is more is better, at least for the envelope home effect, probably a foot or more is ideal so the heat can "blow" away and not penetrate the main roof.

And I also agree with having a white roof, I've often wondered if there was anything purpose made that would do better than plain white in terms of keeping the hot outside. I know silver/reflective surfaces get blazing hot compared to white though.