Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #468 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
It gets down to -153C at night -- hmmm, I wonder why it cools off so much at night? Could it be the lack of any significant atmosphere to buffer the losses? That is a 260C (500F) swing in one solar day...

The temperature chart is for a whopping 11 years. You can show just about anything with a tiny slice...

Here's the 160 years corresponding to the time we humans have been burning carbon fuels:

Carbon dioxide was ~270PPM at the beginning of this period, it reached ~300PPM in 1904, and it is ~389PPM now. Case closed.

I know about the tube worms around the deep sea volcanic vents -- I've mentioned them several times in this thread, I think. They are probably similar to the first life forms on Earth. When cyanobacteria came along (which I have also mentioned before), they started to split water -- and they released oxygen into the atmosphere. It was not there before.

A living thing transformed the atmosphere; making other life forms possible. Ever since then the balance of gasses in the atmosphere has depended on life forms and on natural processes, like volcanoes and weathering.

It took 100 of millions of years for these natural processes and life forms to stabilize the balance of the gasses in the atmosphere -- for 650,000 years it was ~170-280PPM. Temperature was in slightly delayed lockstep with the level of carbon dioxide that entire time.

Laws of nature and physics are unchanging.

Carbon dioxide is now significantly higher than at any time in the last 650,000 years -- and temperature is still in slightly delayed lockstep with the level of carbon dioxide.

Sure, other factors have changed, and the scientists have the best account of all of them that is available. These are the same scientists who have figured out many other important things about the universe around us; including evolution, DNA, plate tectonics, atomic structure, relativity, fusion of stars -- all of which are incredible and unknowable without all the other scientific fields.

You can't take away any one field of science and ignore the interdependency with all the other fields. If any science is "real" -- then it all is.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 01-10-2011 at 10:40 AM..