Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #484 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Tell me a little more about this person Lord Christopher Monckton? What is his background and training? He seems to be a favorite of anthropogenic global climate change deniers -- I wonder what his old boss, Margaret Thatcher says about anthropogenic global climate?
He was science advisor to Thatcher when she was "supreme being" in the UK for a while. She was a scientist but was not too unhappy when burning coal was suggested to be bad as she had a few issues with the UK mining unions at the time. Her policy was to phase out coal in favour of Gas and Nuclear for energy production.

Crispin Tickell has claimed Thatch understood the threat of AGW and embraced it. Monkton has suggested the opposite, that she saw it as a political thing.

As Thatch is getting on, I suspect we will have to wait for the memoirs to find out for sure.

He is, however, someone who raises questions about the science - some of which are as yet unanswered. I could also indicate people like Steve McIntyre who are laypersons who have found problems with the science.

Climategate seems to suggest Peer Review no longer does enough to ensure science is as rigorous as it once was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
umm... which NASA are we talking about, and were they measuring the globe or some points on a continent?
NASA: 2010 Meteorological Year Warmest Ever - ScienceNOW
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/ta...LB.Ts+dSST.txt
You also have to include the adjustments which remain unexplained, and of course the period being reported on which seems to have excluded the cold snap at the end of the year. But nobody seems to explain why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
For the love of Pete, is being polite and/or constructive really that bad? The increase in solar irradiance has probably increased the temperature but it probably hasn't been enough to account for all of the increases. If anyone has a problem w/ the data, for instance the IPCC's stuff, feel free to point out what specifically is wrong.
+1 for the polite comment, I think its time to take the heat (I know, I know) out of this. As for the IPCC look at Amazongate, Himilayan (spelling ?) glaciers melting and so on to see them as a clean source.

We need a thorough, unbiased examination of the science. At the moment it is too unreliable to commit several decades of the world GDP to fight this to the exclusion of other work.

I'm out of this thread now. Muppet has left the building...