View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Somewhat ironically the Mini is doing the return journey on a trailer and the journo is going back by train .

I don't think this is meant to be a real world excercise. I think the point of the beeb is that more people are likely to consider a Mini E than a Tesla, even without cost. More people buy even just the top of the range Minis rather than Lotus Elises because they have a reasonable boot and they keep you dry.

They have done it before, around Europe.

The beeb seem keen on at least having a go with leccy tech which is cool in my view. The Tesla crowd's feelings seem a little bit 'raw' when it comes to the beeb possibly due to Clarkson's antics when he tested the Roadster and gave the impression that it broke when it maybe didn't or not in the way shown or something.

Not everyone at the beeb is like Carkson, which is a double edged sword I suppose. At least they didn't go mad when a GWizz driver was killed.

(The fact it is an electric car was relevant because leccy cars were (and perhaps still are) excused from quite a bit of the safety testing needed for conventional cars in the UK).

Doing this journey by train is an irrelevant excersize for most people however I have had situations where I have had to jump in the car and driver 4-500 miles in an afternoon where the train is just not an option.