View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
It may depend on the definition of P&G.

I look to maintain 1,700-1,900 rpm for all loads and roads (with a few exceptions). On this truck I think of the throttle as being useful only for changing gears, up or down. The gear selection is what counts. Other than that I drive so as to "never" have to accelerate, idle or brake. But as this truck weighs in excess of 7,400-lbs I'm quite cautious about non-limited access roadways where traffic or pedestrians could appear at any moment and default to greatest potential control of the vehicle.

I wouldn't consider actually turning off the engine while underway, and am conservative about placing it in neutral (generally gliding up to an unavoidable stop). I utilize trip planning to make the most of the truck, and have no use for trying to eke out the last few drops. (Do errands during the week and use it not at all over the weekend, for example).

Combining all trips into a long loop back to the house (city), and maximizing steady state conditions (highway), is the strategy at present.

Fuel economy is only one indicator of most work over the most miles for the lowest cost. Tire life, brake life and generally lowest-wear-per-mile count more for me as they are more informative, IMO. With a single repair at 150k and tires/brakes lasting over 120K it's so far going okay. At 170k/4k I am about halfway to the CTD MTBO in miles & engine hours (and projected 15-year lifespan).

If I drove an air-conditioned go-kart I might be more lenient about operating parameters.