Thread: Donut tires
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
BHarvey
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
I have been running the tires at 44psi, or sidewall max. The car came with Kumho KH25's in 205/65/16 and actually seem to be a pretty good all around tire. Much better in the rain than I thought they would be.

Check out the video.

Found several tires that are rated well on pressure and weight but the funny thing is most of them for 15 and 16 inch from 205 down to 155 have similar tread widths. I know this does not mean that the actual contact patch is the same, but there is ONE tire that looks good, the Bridgestone Ecopia EP-02. 30% reduction in contact patch, a 2lb weight savings, thinner tread depth and a higher weight rating. Plus the round looking nature from the tread surface to rim looks like a semi boat tail. Another plus from what I hear is that the sidewall is slightly taller, which would rake to car slightly.

I don't know, just thinking out loud about a few other things I could do to help economy.
I get better combined miles than I do straight hwy and I think it is down to how much I e-on-c in town. Need to do that more on the hwy.

Getting a few mods together to try after my Ultragauge gets here.