View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
T-100 bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
Thanks again .

LC, the holes were there, I didn't drill a single hole.
All I did was to pick the hoes that aligned wll with my pieces and stick a bolt through them.
Most cars have extra holes in the sheet metal, especially around the engine bay.

Aerohead, the dam extends to right about 8.5" off the ground which lines up with the crossmember's height (the one under the motor).
It's also about the same on the bumper of my wife's Prius, so I take it as a good gauge for driveway approach angles and such .

This basically does not increase the frontal area at all but does block a good bit of air flow to the suspension arms (they didn't need cooling anyway ).

As an interesting note, I have yet to hit the half mark of my fuel gauge at this point, and I'm well passed the mileage that I used to get there.
Seems like the bumper works well.

Moti
Moti,thanks for measurements on clearance.Looks like frontal area isn't an issue.And if its not hitting anything,you're in like Flynn! As an aside,I ate a little crow over at Andrew's CIVIC thread,as Darin reminded me,and correctly so,that even if Andrew's front airdam was below the suspension,it was still demonstrating measurable drag reduction,and that C and D's mods to the Pinto back in '74 included a low-hanging airdam which also realized lower drag.Am I enjoying senior moments? So it may be that your front spoiler could conceivably go a bit lower.The nose I built projects quite a bit forward to create the semi-circular form and just barely clears parking-lot concrete tire barricades and curbs when I park,so I'm at my limit.Anything I do from here out will have to have active control,to raise and lower from the driver's seat.And from observing the big-boys,its appears that even with a bellypan,the underside of a vehicle is still considered no place for air to go,and they'll use active suspension to lower the car at speed,or use active airdams which lower at speed to block more air when the car requires less ground-clearance.