View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
almightybmw - Thanks for joining the conversation.
I realize that performance guys think of trying to get good gas mileage out of a car like the MX-3 as sacrilegious, but it can't be any worse than what some people do in the name of making the car look fast. (Stickers everywhere, huge bi-plane wings, body kits with plenty of scoops that lead to nowhere, decals on the dash .... yet a stock engine.)

At least this modification would be functional.

With the 4 cylinder engine, the car wasn't fast anyways, so it's not like anyone is trying to detune a Ferrari. ;-)

Can you give me any advice on how that this particular car could be modified to get at least 40 MPG ?
My Civic has just over 100 HP ( hey stop laughing.) yet even with an automatic, the car gets over 40 MPG. The MX-3 4 cylinder engine has even less at 88 HP, but can't even get 35 MPG with a stick. With an automatic, it is lucky to even see 30 MPG!
I realize that the car is around 600-700 lbs heavier than the Civic, but it really has me hopeful that there is an engine swap that could get good mileage.
I appreciate any advice you guys could give me, because I really love the MX-3 design.

Thanks