View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #33 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
If you aeromod your car to drop the Cd into the mid 0.10's, then drafting at normal highway speeds offers very minimal mileage benefit. The only use I have for drafting is that it can give me a quick snapshot into how much aeromodding would improve the mileage of whatever I am driving. When drafting, the only thing that has changed is the wind load on your car since engine rpm and rolling resistance remain unchanged. So if your drafting car is experiencing an air speed that half of your ground speed, then the mileage you are getting is the mileage you would be getting without drafting if you cut your Cd in half. Ideally you need an airspeed indicator in the nose of your car to determine airspeed if you want to quantify the drafting mileage benefit. Also the air speed indicator can let you find the best position for drafting and let you know if you were driving into a headwind or tailwind (two other things that a mid 0.10 Cd minimizes the effect of).

Basically the effects of dropping my Cd down to 0.16 is that (compared to the OEM car) it is like I am always driving in a tailwind or in a draft since my aeromods provide the same mileage benefits as drafting or driving in a tailwind without having to do either.