View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowglider View Post
I don`t draft behind any trucks, but what is it that bothers a trucker if a car drives behind him?
The car˙s headlights can`t bother him because he can`t see them, also he cannot be concerned about safety distance because the car can brake much faster than a truck can.

I`m thinking of this because adaptive cruise controls (automated braking) are now becoming common and it`s quite safe to use them to draft behind trucks and save on fuel.
Travelling too close to something in front is dangerous for obvious reasons. Even if you could stop in time there is always the unexpected - in fact everything is unexpected because you can't see. If you pull back abour 5-7 car lengths you get most of the benefit and the truck (or whatever) in front fills less of your vision. If you don't and the truck switches lanes to pass something and you go - bosh.

Truckers also don't like people going too close because they don't want the hassle of an accident - you might be OK but others may not. Plus your lights may not look like they would be bothering the driver but it also may mean he can't see other vehicles passing so its harder for him to judge when he can pull out.

There have been folks on here tapping about truckers switching to the sides to kick up dust and cr@p to discourage tailgaters / drafters.

Plus of course dropping 5 mph or P&G on inclines will gain more and be safer all round.

EDIT : Sorry to be a pooper but I think safety is more important.

Last edited by Arragonis; 01-21-2011 at 01:52 PM..