View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Just wondering why it is that new cars are so tall.
The average small car today has a height of around 60", while small cars such as the Honda Civic from the early nineties had a height approaching 10" below that figure. ( 50.7" )

Why such a tremendous increase in height ? I realize that Americans keep getting larger, but this is usually seen in the gut area versus their height.
Small cars are growing more tall than wide. An example being the Aveo, which is actually 8" slimmer than the '93 Civic, yet is also around 8" taller.
I own an '09 Aveo, and I don't think it is much slimmer if you are factoring in the side mirrors. Yes, it is taller as I can attest from washing it. It also stands higher off the ground than a Fit or a Yaris, which is desirable to some of us as we get older. (I and my wife aren't getting taller or fatter, but we are getting older.) One reason I bought it is that it is easier to get in an out of a car that stands higher; also it is less likely to bottom out on driveways and bad roads.

It seems it is just the trend in recent years to make small cars resemble bigger cars or look bigger than they actually are. This is especially true in American auto design.

It's probably about fashion and appealing to what people wanna be or
pretend to be... ("Big hat, no cattle"?)