View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...this Car-and-Driver article has some rather interesting information about GM products that eco-drivers might want to know:

When Coasting to a Stop, do Not Shift Into Neutral - Feature - Car and Driver
An article found in Car & Driver magazine is hardly the great authority or final word on the subject.

Personally, I don't believe this. I find a considerable increase in FE shown in my '09 Aveo (which is a GM product) as indicated by a ScanGauge when utilizing coasting in neutral to a stop. Also, as expected, the car consumes slightly less fuel while stopped at idle while in neutral rather than in drive. To me the only important question is whether there is any possibility of it being detrimental to the transmission. I've been told by a transmission shop that it isn't. Essentially it's the same effect as towing a car with it in neutral. This applies if you actually coast to a stop or a near stop where the tranny can go into first gear. It may be detrimental if you are shifting it back into gear at upwards of 20-30 MPH or more, however.

Bear in mind that for legalistic reasons you will not find this magazine or any other media source willing to endorse neutral coasting in their publication. They are not about to stick their necks out and take heat from law enforcement agencies for recommending it. It is technically not legal to do it, owing to the prevailing legalistic argument that you don't have the same amount of "control" over your vehicle as you do when the transmission is in drive.