View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
240addict
EcoModding Lurker

Sipper - '98 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 40.57 mpg (US)

Crusher - '01 Ford F350 XLT
90 day: 18.06 mpg (US)
unfortunately I came to the realization that the car would never meet my fuel efficiency goal with the drive train it came equipped with. When I bought the car I was wanting a project car that was sporty, RWD and simple to work on that handled well yet still somewhat economical. With mid to high 20's for mpg and only a 275 mile range on a tank of fuel and my tastes shifting from performance to efficiency I decided to sell it. I did however get a 3d Laserscan of the car before I sold so that if I ever got another, I would already have some data to work with. I thought about attempting a TDI motor swap from a VW but I could not dedicate enough time and resources to get the project off the ground. So I did the next best thing and got a 98 VW Jetta TDI and have started working on it with a goal of 70mpg on biodiesel. I plan on getting it laserscanned as well and pick up where I left off with my 240 on the aero stuff. Obviously the jetta presents more challenges but it is the most efficient non hybrid/EV that I could afford.