View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
As for bringing your own oil to the car shop: Is it a car repair shop, or a car parts shop? You pay for repairs and tune-ups, and if they lower their prices then that's their problem and your gain. I've seen many car shops that change your oil for free if you bought that oil from them (even if you brought your own oil filter). Same with replacing coolant fluid.
As someone who used to sell auto parts to the general public and to repair shops, I can tell you that's not the way it works. Almost all chain stores, and some independent mechanics, refuse to install parts brought in by the customer. They'll give you some excuse about how they couldn't offer a warranty if they don't know how good the parts coming in are.

The fact is, they get a discount on parts - 10 to 60%, depending on what the part is, plus they get the parts delivered to them for free. Then they mark up the parts to about 200% of retail - i.e. "list price". This is a ubiquitous practice, and those who don't participate would have to charge a labor rate of $150/hr instead of the normal $70/hr to bring in the same amount of money.

So, in terms of profit, garages are auto parts stores first and foremost. Stores with a HUGE markup and a nice network of just-in-time suppliers. And yet, garages go out of business all the time. I guess $70/hr just isn't enough, when a technician costs you $20/hr.

I do all my own work on my cars.