View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
I finished digesting that long and dense press release... it's really great stuff. This is a big-budget engineering exercise aimed at producing a super-efficient prototype. If it's followed up by a manufacturable, marketable vehicle that conforms to applicable regulations, I will be thrilled, and I might just buy one new. The XL1 looks like the Bugatti Veyron of efficient cars.

Of course the vehicle will lose fuel economy in the translation into to something fit to sell - no, you can't have 260mpg - but it's still sure to beat the first-gen Insight. As it should: VW's effort will be some 15 years newer. I bet a marketable interpretation of this vehicle will use about twice as much fuel as this prototype: 130mpg NEDC, which is what, 90 EPA Combined? Not shabby at all.

Finally, some progress in the world of tires: "an entirely new generation of optimised low rolling resistance tyres from MICHELIN (front: 115/80 R 15; rear: 145/55 R 16)" I bet the final version would have 145 or 155's front and rear, but still, when Michelin develops new treads with CRR as their highest priority, it's going to be great.