View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #42 (permalink)
amcpacer
EcoModding Lurker

Edsel turbo power!

The project is very close to completion! The engine starts and runs great and I hope to take it for a test drive tomorrow! The paint job is complete and the trim has been installed.

I took a couple of pictures today. I hope to get a couple pics of the engine bay tomorrow (when the sun is shining).

Over the last month I experienced difficulties with correct engine operation. First the injectors I had were the brown top 35lb/hr injectors which were meant for the later 88 year engine. It is true that my engine is from 1988 but I am using the 1984 VAM and computer. The car would start and run but very rich with lots of black smoke. A friend down the street gave me a proper set of green top Bosch 30lb/hr injectors to install. At first the engine was running on 3 cylinders due to a stuck injector at cylinder #2. I bought a new injector at Autozone and installed it and now it starts right up and runs perfectly!

Later the engine was leaking lots of oil from the valve cover gasket. It turns out that it had the original cork gasket. I replaced it with a nice blue fel-pro reusable gasket and it stopped leaking.

This morning the car would not start and with a multimeter I traced the open circuit to a circular box above the steering column under the hood. HAHA! The car was not shifted into park! Sure it has a 5 speed now but the factory automatic selector is still in place so when the ignition key is turned it requires neutral or park to send current to the solenoid. I plan to leave the automatic shifter in place for anti theft.

I have heard a ton of opposition to my project from older people. People seem angry that I would get rid of an all American V8 for a I4. Some folks say it will not have enough power to even move. Some people think it will get worse fuel economy because the engine will have to work too hard. Of course no amount of reasoning or fact can easily dispel 50+ years of unscientific assumptions. I plan to test drive it soon and prove that it is solid!

I am very anxious to start driving it so I can find out what the fuel economy will be!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	halo.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	7701   Click image for larger version

Name:	lifted.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	7702   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	7703   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	7704  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amcpacer For This Useful Post:
samwichse (10-26-2017), SoobieOut (01-26-2011)