View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #49 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecheese429 View Post
Seat belts are a definite improvement! lol

If it was mine, depending on how paranoid I was, I would probably put plenty of 1/4" wall 1.5" tubing making trianges all over the ladder frame, including a minor roll bar. But that is just me not trusting the frame designs of the 1950s. That could also get really heavy really fast.

But that's not to say I don't appreciate the cars from the golden years; I love 'em!

Edit: I was just looking at the most recent pics... :drool: dang that car polished up nicely!
??? The frame was generally very strong, in fact usually so strong that the person inside would smack against the equally strong dash at full speed.

If you are really worried about safety, learn how to drive more safely.

If you are still worried add padding before structural reinforcement, unless you are racing it probably isn't worth putting in a roll cage (which is the only safe way I know of actually strengthening the cabin) Also a collapsable column for the steering wheel if it doesn't already have one (surprizingly there were cars with these long long ago)

Welding the frame as far as I'm concerned is always a VERY VERY bad idea, I work at a place that builds vehicles, welds are not allowed on the frame and no repairs are allowed on the frame work as it removes the temper. The only possible exception I could ever see is on purpose built welded frames, usually welds are limited to certain areas though. Also possibly the very rear section of the framework that doesn't really support anything normally could probably be welded.

If memory serves it is also technically possible to install an airbag (driver at least) if stolen from certain older years of cars that had less external circuitry, I'm not sure if it would really make the car safer though.

Cheers
Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
robertwb70 (01-26-2011)