View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Geo Metropolis
Enthusiastic EcoModder

Gnatmobile - '96 Geo Metro LSI
90 day: 44.68 mpg (US)

theRAV - '01 Toyota RAV4 NV
90 day: 21.07 mpg (US)

ACCELICA - '95 Toyota Celica GT Convertible
Last 3: 23.46 mpg (US)

The Van - '05 Chevrolet Uplander LS LWB
90 day: 21.04 mpg (US)
zipties securing smooth hubcaps keep burning up?

Hi, I'm new to the site (you can read my intro in the introductions forum) so I apologize I can't yet post pics. For my third aeromod I decided to do smooth wheelcovers.
I had trouble locating the correct size pizza pans so I simply cut circles out of 1/8in ABS that I had bought for aeromodding. I tied a string to a marker then taped the string to the plastic so that the length from tape to marker was exactly 7" then used the string as a rudimentary compass to trace a perfect circle. Follow that up with a boxcutter and I had a great looking disc.
I used disc 1 as a template for 3 more. To mount them I simply drilled 3 pairs of holes then ran zip ties through one hole, around and behind the spoke of the rim, then back out the other hole where I connected the zip ties. In reality Each pair of holes has 3 zip ties to get the length right because I drilled small holes and used small zip ties. I cut small access points around the valve stems but otherwise they are completely smooth.
The problem is that the zip ties aren't lasting. The driver's rear wheel is particularly troublesome. I've had zip ties break on 3 different occasions and they are only 3 weeks old. Today I literally fixed a broken set before I left for work only to have all 3 sets break on that wheel on the ride home. The good news is the disk flew up and got jammed in my rear wheelskirt so I didn't lose it, the bad news, my tire rubbed it the last mile or two and practically melted it in half
I think I'm going to try wiring them on with some stainless wire instead. Any ideas why the zipties fail so easily? My guess is the heat from the brakes but it's weird that one wheel seems so prone to failure. And it's really hard to imagine the brakes get that hot since I try to drive like they're not there. The cover flew off on a freeway run where I was definitely not using the brakes. I really don't get it?