View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
I think there's some danger in having one or a small group of people deciding what's science and what's not. However, there is some stuff that's been well established as bunk (i.e. grooves in intake manifolds, HHO, magnets, gasoline vacuum chambers, etc.). For those topics that it's reasonably universally agreed upon that the science does not back up the claims, I'd suggest a sticky on the topic, a brief summary of the real evidence out there, and new threads started on the topic should be deleted as they appear, referring the OP to the sticky.

Otherwise, with new and untested ideas, I'd say hold the poster's feet to the fire, gather some data, get some others on the forum to give it a try and give them enough rope to either hang themselves or prove the doubters wrong. If they hang themselves, put up a new sticky or add them to the mass-sticky on dubious science.

Let's remember that this isn't CleanMPG, it's Ecomodders. There's been a lot of discoveries here; many in the general population would consider us freaks, but there is learning going on. Keep the door open to the unexpected and currently unexplainable, but of course, retain a skeptical eye.

By the way, I'm not voting because surveys like this narrow the options too much to introduce alternatives to the dominant paradigm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endurance For This Useful Post:
brucepick (01-30-2011), ChrstphrR (01-28-2011), JeepNmpg2 (03-16-2011)