View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
petehammer
EcoModding Lurker

Mondeo - '95 Ford Contour SE
90 day: 25.02 mpg (US)
Make sense to buy a motorcycle?

Hello,

I've read these forums for a while, but wanted to register to tap into the knowledge base here to get comments on my situation.

I own a 1995 Ford Contour SE (V6) and I drive 50 miles everyday (25 there and back) for work. Over the last several months I've averaged 25 mpg. The majority of my trip is 55mph+ on either a "highway" or country roads. The issue is not increasing my MPG with this car, because I've tried many of the less serious tricks and they don't do much, if anything (I can drive at 2,000 or 3,500 rpm and not much changes).

Rather, I'm looking at buying a motorcycle and wondering if the math works out. I have been through the state-required motorcycle course, but have not gotten it on my license yet ($80 + an addition $15 every time I renew).

I have the chance to get a 2007 BMW X Country with <10,000 miles for <$4000. I believe this to be an excellent compromise between the ninja and a bigger bike with awful gas mileage (I'm too big for a ninja and think larger bikes miss the point for my goals). Supposedly, the X Country will get 60-70 mpg. I want a Brammo, but the realities of the Brammo considering my commute and its cost mean that I'm looking at the BMW.

So, the question is, does the increased gas mileage at all make up for carrying another insurance plan, having to buy all the gear, having to buy the bike, and maintenance? Around the web the limited info I can find is that no, it is not worth it. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. I've looked at the fueleconomy site and it says I'd make it back in 5 years... in fuel costs, assuming I rode everyday (and I wouldn't).

Thanks for any advice!