View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #56 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawie View Post
For a cheaper basic model they could loose the hybrid batteries/electric motor/control system.
This will save some cost and weight, although lack of regenerative braking will hurt stop/drive city consumption.

Another option may be an Atkinson-cycle gasoline engine. The 7-speed transmission may make it possible to keep it in it's efficient part of the bsfc map.
I agree that if they make this car for real (aka mass production) that they shoudl offer varying drivetrains with the assocaited cost savings.

I personally would like the diesel without the hybred as I could care less about the accelleration, especially if it still had a start stop function.

I don't think you would see the gas engine getting the kind of efficiency you would be very proud of.

Small gas engines, even those made for efficiency are almost always less efficient at their optimal load range as compared to a larger engine.
Reason being it is much more difficult to make small gas engines efficient, comparing 800cc to say a large 3 liter, its not impossible, just expensive and in this application may not save money over a diesel.

Also I am wondering how the $.10 cent a pound chicken feather carbon fibre setup is coming?