View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
NHRABill
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
I did my one hour commute at 22F and though I was tough, repairing wife's car so she took mine. And that was before making an electric vest or adding grip heaters.

I wouldn't worry about a 10 or 20 mpg difference, with your short ride even if gas goes to $5 agallon, it would be one gallon per day at 50 mpg, 2/3 of gallon at 75 mpg.

I always recommend dualsport for a first bike, you can gain a lot of experience in the dirt that will carry over without cars around. My first bike after 15 years without was a KLR650 $4900 brand new in 2000. I'd recommend a little smaller for a new rider, the DR200, KLR250, xt225's, CRF230l are all great bikes to start with and will do your commute just fine. DRz400s is lighter & narrower than the 650's (650's have big wide seats) KLR650 is most highway friendly, XR650L most dirt friendly and DR650se is in between with lowest seat height I believe). DR650se is probably best buy as it doesn't have the following of the other 2 keeping used prices up higher.

I always wanted a dual sport but there are no place to go off road and Its a Loooong ride to find a gravel road. I understand the draw and fun of riding on dirt but i don't see how that will help you when riding on knobby tires and such a light responsive bike is much different that the caution and anticipation that is needed for the street? I may not have the experience in that area but it doesn't make sense to me.

Many people get their MC license every year and if you have a brain and some restraint you will have no issues. I attended a MC safety course it helped a lot. My 1st bike a Buell Blast, I had for 2 months then I moved over to my fathers Sportster after he passed on. I have driven 8 second race cars on the track and live in a city environment very dangerous for bikes. Using common sense and maturity I ride safe and enjoy it for the fuel savings and the experience of the ride. Motorcycles are not for everyone and it doesn't make you any less of a man if it is not for you I am not the stereotypical Harley dude. I can care less what people think of me I do it for the fun mostly and to remember my dad. The stops at the gas station are fun when I get 3 gallons to fill the tank every 175 miles or there abouts.

If you pick up the bike post a few pictures
1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*