View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
jpgmtech
EcoModding Lurker

duramax - '05 Chevrolet Silverado LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
This sounds like that JCWhitney "Turbolator" device that essentially did the same thing: had a butterfly valve in the exhaust to regulate backpressure or something.

No one tested it out, but I recall someone had a soda can on their exhaust tip. Not sure how that went -- I think it blew off.

Let's try this -- stick a potato in the tailpipe on startup and see what happens

Is there any method to the madness, Scientifically? Are adjustable restrictors effective?

RH77
Been there, tested that... at least in principle. Less exhaust backpressure is almost always better, with the exception of very specific circumstances, i.e. modifying the sound pressure wave tuning of the exhaust to optimize efficiency at a specific RPM. This is assuming the vehicle has equal-length headers too... and the tuner has an understanding of Helmholtz resonators.

Typically though adding backpressure effectively "throttles" the exhaust. Why not just throttle the intake, like we always do???

BTW, on a variable-vane turbocharged diesel, the vanes act as an exhaust restriction at higher vane angles. On my diesel I can pick up almost 10% highway economy by opening the VVT right up for cruising over and above the factory settings. The factory settings are there to intentionally create some backpressure for the EGR as well as making the turbo spool much quicker.

As for this "fuel economy" device - smoke and mirrors....