View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Vekke -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekke View Post
Those long lugnuts have been on my mind for few months, but the problem is that people will need different lengths of lugnuts. Other solution would be adaptors between lugnuts and hubcap. So you would built the spacing you need with spacers. If all this would work the last problem is that I dont think that would be stiff enough for top speed driving. Attachement is quite centre and most of the weigth is on the outer edge. So in tight turns there will be lots of stresses that try to rip the capsel in half. Fatigue may brake it sooner or later.

This is an idea I came up with for my car :

I never made the adapter. This would be a "4-lug/100mm" solution. The good part is that the Dzus makes for super-easy unmounting of the wheel cover for checking and adding air.

The bad part is that it is 4-lug centric, so the wheel cover *has* to match the adapter. You would rather have multiple adapters and only one wheel cover.

A different system would have a single center mount. In that situation I would replace the Dzus in the adapter with a single screw-on solution designed to mount through the center of the wheel cover. That would also require that the screw's thread be reversed based on whether it's mounted on the left or right side. The idea is that you need the screw-on solution to be "tightening" when the wheel is rolling forward.

Another way to solve this is to have 3 Dzus forming a triangle in the center of the adapter and multiple hole patterns for different wheels. That way one adapter could solve "X" number of wheels and the wheel cover would always be 3-holes for 3 Dzus fasteners.

In the above I am not solving the connection to the lug nuts. My idea is designed to work with my own connection solution I outline here :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...isk-11838.html

(The connection solution has been simplified from 9 pieces per lug nut down to 3)

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
NachtRitter (01-30-2011)