View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
alvaro84
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
We have near 7 USD/gal gas here at the moment, and AFAIK euromodder can buy it even more expensive in Belgium.

Financial outcome of owning a bike? I had a headstart: I had no car to begin with and bought a bike to control the damage I make by owning (and actively using) a vehicle and using gas.

Even with this headstart I don't say I saved a slightest amount of money over a car. I might even lose some - but at least I got fun in return. For the price of a used BMW F650CS I could have easily gotten a used car, in the same condition. I definitely save on gas, but I suspect the maintenance costs much more than for a car (first maintenance was pretty expensive both in parts and labor, and last year the drive belt and its rear sprocket had to be replaced, along with the front rim + brake disc). OK, it wouldn't be necessarily true for a 'cheap' 125 (which, bought new - I must remark - is not far in price from my Teresa. And a new 250 is more expensive.), but I wanted to get something I can really use on freeways when needed. And I needed to, pretty much. Riding gear is an extra cost as well.

All in all I may can not beat a car in cost/distance. All I can beat is - public transport