View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Evans Engineering coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
Changing the thermostat to the 195* F version seems to be a popular mod for the VW TDI group for better FE as well. Looking into doing that soon on my TDI, now that I have a few tanks under my belt.
The contrary actions are so funny to me. Here people want to put in higher temp Tstats. On the "performance" forums people put in lower ones (ie 180*). Trading HP for FE.
My RAM has a 193 Tstat, and that seems to work fine. The main issue is the boiling point of the water/coolant mix. The pressure is what pushes the boiling point above 212. That said, if you switch to Evans Engineering coolant...you get a 370* 0psi boiling point. If I got that swapped in, I'd want a 250* Tstat! Then the issue would be reprogramming the ignition to not cut timing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovie
in my opinion the warm air intake is heating the wrong thing for example the temperature where i'm at is 38 degrees at night and thats how cold the fuel is in the morning so ya you can heat the air but the thing your trying to improve is the evaporation of the fuel that really sucks at 38 degrees. i have no return fuel line so i'm trying to see what happens when you heat the fuel line with the coolant line from what i've read so far i should be able to hit 180 degree fuel without vapor lock in the line.
I was contemplating a WAI for my truck...by ducting air that came through the radiator fins into the filter box. Figured I should do some A-B-A testing for any results.

Last edited by ECONORAM; 01-31-2011 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: reply about WAI