Thread: Diesel Hybrid
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #31 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

As I understand it Hybrids at the moment fall into 2 types.

- The Prius type with batteries storing regen / engine power which is used to drive or assist as required.

- The Insight type where the batteries store regen power which is used to assist but not to drive the car exclusively.

The Diesel Hybrids I've seen suggest they are going down the Prius route, which I assume is much easier to retro-fit to an existing vehicle, albeit with a loss in luggage space because of the battery pack and of course weight.

Are there any Diesel-Electric hybrids, now or planned or built in a garage ? I'm thinking like the old Diesel-Electric locomotives idea of a Diesel engine powering a generator which in turn powers electric motors - so the Diesel engine can stay at the optimum speed for load vs fuel use. It also means top torque from zero engine speed.

What would that mean in terms of the engine size, or rather the power required, and weight ? Does it make a smaller hybrid possible ?

A second point if I may, ironic this one. Part of the marketing push on the Mk2 Insight here in the UK is that it is an alternative to a Diesel, because you don't need the heavy duty gear needed for a 'fuel of the gods' engine - clutch etc. And now they are putting Diesels in Hybrids. Hmmm.