Thread: Diesel Hybrid
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
In the case of diesels, they pretty much have all of the low-end torque needed. This is my speculation about a diesel-hybrid version which today are mostly announcements of future products. The hybrid version should provide more engine OFF time and electric vehicle (EV) operation. This can avoid fuel burns at low power settings when the internal friction becomes a significant part of the fuel budget. It will also capture a significant part of the energy lost in braking.
Aha - now it makes sense, I wondered given the woosh that Helga has why would I need any assist.

Quote:
"Planned or built" . . . well there was this Top Gear approach which I believe involved a diesel powered generator strapped to their . . . 'machine.' I forget the episode but think of a box wrapped in aluminum sheeting with a dome on the roof for one of the presenters. I believe they used 'cartoon physics' in the design.
That is my son's fave episode, he collapses in laughter at The Stig walking down the wheelchair ramp after he delivered the prototype to Autocar mag.

Quote:
It is really hard to speculate on what a diesel-hybrid will actually be when delivered as there are subtle design aspects, 'fork-in-the-road' where either path works. To some extent these decision also come from a corporate culture about what drives their preferences.
I shall watch also.

Quote:
As for commenting about marketing, I try not to curse before after-work, 'happy hour.' . . . Marketing, where really awful engineers are sent. The incompetent ones become managers. <grins>

Bob Wilson
I suspect desperation. I can count on the fingers of two fingers the numbers of Insight Mk2's I've seen here in Embra. Mind you its only 1 finger for the total number of Insight 1s I have ever seen including several trips to the US. Still to see an Auris Hybrid either.