View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
KY Metro
EcoModding Lurker

The Odyssey - '98 Honda Odyssey
90 day: 24.45 mpg (US)

The Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 32.5 mpg (US)
VSS goes nuts when warm!

I need some expert opinions.....

I installed my MPGuino in my 1995 Geo Metro. I am very happy with it, have needed no calibration since the default settings were for the Metro. Usually everything is fine. However, I notice that the speed reading is sometimes wildly inaccurate, usually ten to twenty MPH faster than I am actually going, but also going to zero and very low speeds on occasion. This affects the distance and the MPG reading as well, showing false mileage gains. Very frustrating.

I pondered this a while, and eventually noticed that it only happens when the heat has been on for a while - the instrument cluster is actually getting quite warm, and then begins to fritz on the speed. I have even managed to get it to "calm down" by directing cold air onto the cluster.

I know that on Metros there is a reed switch in the speedo head, according to Coyote X. He was after the bounce in his VSS reading in this thread, which is NOT the issue here - when mine works, it is spot on and pretty steady.

Is this the first time anyone has heard of this? What piece has failed, and what can I do to fix this?

Thanks,

KY Metro